Re: ANN: The Vehicle Sales Ontology - Cars, Bikes, Boats on the Web of Data - http://purl.org/vso/ns

Dear all:

> Re-reading Martin's descriptions I see another problem with paddle
> surfboards - the paddle is one-sided, so (if modelled) would these
> be a subclasses of canoes... therefore boats (unlike kayaks)?!
>
> Barry
Simply create a subclass barry:PaddleSurfboat rdfs:subClassOf
vso:Watercraft, if needed.

I think it is important to stress for casual readers of this mailing
list that we have entered into an academic discussion that is of
unclear importance for actually building the Semantic Web.

Intellectually, I really enjoy the thread, but

1. there is no class for "paddle surfboats" in the Vehicle Sales
Ontology (just vso:Watercraft)
2. as stressed, the relevance of recreational watercrafts for Semantic-
Web-based e-commerce is limited.

At least they are not likely to be more important than car sales and
rentals.

Google reports more than 3.7 Million Web documents for "Semantic Web",
of that more than 230,000 in PDF (likely papers, technical reports,
theses,...).

In contrast, there are less than 50 ontology namespaces used in more
than 1,000 RDF documents (according to PTSW).

If ontologies, however lightweight or heavy-weight, are agreed to be
essential for the Semantic Web to become a reality, then we will need
way more efforts to produce and maintain those.

Best

Martin

PS: Funny thing: The original GoodRelations paper was rejected for
ESWC 2008; the main argument was that "building an ontology is not
really a relevant contribution". I guess I will post the paper and the
reviews one day ;-)