Re: ANN: The Vehicle Sales Ontology - Cars, Bikes, Boats on the Web of Data - http://purl.org/vso/ns

From: Barry Norton <barry.norton@aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 09:12:40 +0200
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
CC: Michael F Uschold <uschold@gmail.com>, Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org>, semantic-web@w3.org
On 09/09/10 06:09, Pat Hayes wrote:

> Um... don't the (natural) categories of powered boat, sailboat and
> rowboat capture the needed distinctions here quite adequately? I have
> no idea whether a kayak is usually called a rowing boat, but it
> clearly belongs in a natural class of boats propelled by arm muscles
> holding a paddle or oar. BTW, there are, or once were, sea-going ships
> in all these three categories.

No, rowing and paddling are two completely different actions, though I
have some sympathy for a properly named class for "natural class of
boats propelled by arm muscles holding a paddle or oar" (as long as this
isn't called rowing).

Since you mention sea kayaks by the way, these can violate
"traditionally has a covered deck" (is 'traditionally' useful in a
definition?) and furthermore I wonder if a distinction can be drawn
(within the continuum in reality) between transport kayaks (including
sea kayaks), surf skis and, at the extreme, stand-up paddle surfboards
in a 'vehicle' ontology.

What I mean is that I'd venture there's no historical use of a paddle
surfboard for transport. (I also wonder whether anyone would accept a
surfboard as a boat, though it possibly doesn't contradict the
definition other than in this regard).

Barry