Re: ANN: The Vehicle Sales Ontology - Cars, Bikes, Boats on the Web of Data - http://purl.org/vso/ns

On Sep 8, 2010, at 4:26 PM, Michael F Uschold wrote:

> There are various tradeoffs:
> Conceptual simplicity of the ontology,
> for easy understandabilty
> for ease of use
> Alignment with common sense
> for easy understandabilty
> to avoid repelling potential users
> Ontological correctness which should correlate with 2. but may be at odds with 1.
> to align with common sense
> to increase correctness and scope of usability
> more correct can often mean more complex
> Keeping things nice for inference engines
> to improve functionality in an application
> Keeping things nice for [semantic] web developers and programmers
> to encourage use
> IMHO it is dangerous to stray far from common sense - it is too expensive in scaring users away by getting surprising and incorrect behavior in applications.
>
> IMHO catering too much to the whims of inference engines and making life easy for web developers often results in an unfortunate amount of messiness in an ontology.
>
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 11:36 PM, Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org> wrote:
> Hi Michael,
> Thanks for the feedback! I chose to consider Kayaks as a special kind of watercraft in order to exclude them from the domain of all properties associated with having a motor, because to my knowledge, kayaks are extremely rarely powered by an engine (other than e.g. canoes, which occasionally have small electric or combustion engines).
>
> This seems to be trading off ontologically correctness and alignment with common sense for simplicity and making things nice for web programmers and inference engines. I am all in favor of simplicity to encourage use, but I think it is dangerous to be too out of alignment with common sense - which says a kayak is a boat.
>

> By simply also making kayak a subclass of boat, one would recommend (*) a lot of properties that 99.9% of the kayaks in the world don't have (engine displacement etc.), which will irritate potential adopters.
>
> Otherwise, I would have needed rather "ontology expert" classes like "motorizableWaterVehicle" etc. This would also require complex class definitions for the range / domain definitions, which cause practical problems in many pure RDF and RDFS environments (e.g. resolving unionOf without an OWL reasoner is a pain for developers).
>
> You seem to be using the term "boat" to mean "motorizable water vehicle".   I agree that "motorizable water vehicle" is not very natural or simple, even if it is ontologically correct.

Um... don't the (natural) categories of powered boat, sailboat and rowboat capture the needed distinctions here quite adequately? I have no idea whether a kayak is usually called a rowing boat, but it clearly belongs in a natural class of boats propelled by arm muscles holding a paddle or oar. BTW, there are, or once were, sea-going ships in all these three categories.

Pat Hayes