Re: UMarks - a universal bookmark system.

From: Sampo Syreeni <decoy@iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 20:04:18 +0300 (EEST)
To: UMarks <info@umarks.org>
cc: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>, semantic-web@w3.org
On 2010-09-03, UMarks wrote:

> Thanks for your response. XBEL doesn't seem to be used by any of the
> mainstream browsers at all. [...]

Personally I'd say the engineering and nerd minded people who have it
most right are the IETF, and to a lesser extent IEEE. It's good to have
a nice architecture, yes. But the matter of the fact still is that you
will have to be able to solve a problem and appease your customer before
anything else. This is even more important online, because of the
network effects that come with the social aspect of this sort of
engineering. Thus, "rough consensus and running code". First and
foremost running code, usually first implemented before everybody else
agrees upon the interworking details.

Plus, I sort of think the IETF crowd have been congenial when they
elevated that into their credo. They could easily enough have chosen
"talk is cheap". ;)
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - decoy@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-50-5756111, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2