Re: ANN: The Vehicle Sales Ontology - Cars, Bikes, Boats on the Web of Data - http://purl.org/vso/ns

From: Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 21:41:24 +0200
Cc: semantic-web@w3.org
To: Renato Iannella <ri@semanticidentity.com>
Hi Renato,
Thanks!
The reason for "mileageFromOdometer" is that the most popular term for
that in the US is "mileage", which unfortunately is also used for the
distance per amount of fuel. So I had to disambiguate while still
using a term that automative domain experts would search for.
"readingFromOdometer" is a better term, but I fear that it will not be
intuitive for US-based Web developers, and the US market for cars is
likely a major target audience for the ontology.

> And why isn't the MotorizedBicycle a subclass of Bicycle since the
> latter includes "small combustion or electric engine"?

Hm - in Germany, most motorized bicycles are pretty far from real
bicycles. They are actually semi-motorbikes. You cannot reasonably
ride them without using the motor, except for starting the engine or
in extreme emergencies.

So when you search for a bike, you will not want to see a motorized one.

Bikes with small motors (see novel ones with electric engines), on the
contrary, are still close to bikes. You can ride them with the motor
turned off.

That was my rationale.

Martin