Re: [ontolog-forum] using SKOS for controlled values for controlled vocabulary

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 4:49 PM, John F. Sowa <sowa@bestweb.net> wrote:

> On 10/9/2010 4:40 PM, Pavithra wrote:
> > It is also possible to use |skos:altLabel| to represent cases of /upward
> > posting/ [ISO-2788
> > <http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/NOTE-skos-primer-20090818/#ISO2788>]. That
> > is, when a concept aggregates more-specialized notions that are not
> > explicitly introduced as concepts in the considered KOS:
> >
> > ex:rocks rdf:type skos:Concept;
> >    skos:prefLabel "rocks"@en;
> >    skos:altLabel "basalt"@en;
> >    skos:altLabel "granite"@en;
> >    skos:altLabel "slate"@en
>
> Bigus Dealus Gloriosus.
>
> Is that supposed to be *simple* ?

John is right to be sceptical-

This is not what upward posting is supposed to be used for; in fact upward
posting is itself considered to be extremely poor form in Knowledge
Organization Systems. Even the SKOS primer notes this.

The Alternative Labels for a SKOS Concept fulfill the role of USE/USE FOR
relationships in traditional knowledge organization systems like thesauri.
 They are used to indicate different natural language strings that refer to
the same set of ``documents''.

This approach was used in the past if a document collection only had a few
books on rocks, and using the most specific headings would send the patron
scuttling between too many different file drawers.   I do not believe that
this is a good match for the desired use case.

Simon