Re: URNs vs. HTTP-URIs at CEUR-WS

Don't you just love those socio-technical issues.
At the DC conference in Seoul I got talking to someone from the library
where we were.
I happened to ask why they had chosen Dspace as opposed to what we use,
which is ePrints.
The answer was that it offered Handles, which I had never thought of as an
issue - it seemed to me (as Michael) that
http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/17587/ is a pretty persistent identifier.

It went something like:
"But what happens if we delete the document?"
"Then it isn't there to be found by the handle in any case."
"But what happens if we move the location?"
"Why on earth would you want to do that? You can move the documents around,
but why would you change the URI? You are the National Library of South
Korea - you say where things are. And you can redirect just as easily as a
Handle."
"We are paying for the service, I'm sure it's valuable."
"Ahhhh."