Re: Datatyping

FWIW, I have sympathy both ways.

I didn't think Sandro was actually suggesting changes to the RDF spec.  Rather
an experimental program to use interpretation properties to replicate the
datatyping functionality, along the lines you suggest "define your own semantic
extension which includes interpretation properties".  If successful, it should
be possible to map between both forms.

Then we might, in time, have a basis for a proper evaluation, and coming to a
clearer consensus than a 70/20 ~ 40/60 flip-flop.  Maybe datatyping comes to be
seen as an optimization of the other form?  Or vice versa?

An area in which I have a lingering background interest is semantic web ideas
deployed in small embedded devices.  Being able to create a simple stack in
which the current datatyping mechanisms are replaced by a select few datatype
properties is something I find very appealing.  Being able to do so in a way
that is at some level compatible with existing RDF specification and usage very
much adds to that appeal.  (But I think we don't need to change RDF to do this.)

(Pat raised the problem of missing information - I'm not sure how that might be
handled, though my intuition is that if key triples are missing then the
semantics should be weakened to almost nothing.)

#g