Re: password datatype in RDF

From: Yihong Ding <ding@cs.byu.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 18:50:27 -0500
To: Jeremy Carroll <jeremy@topquadrant.com>
Cc: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>

An alternate solution could be simpler. You just need to store whatever your
password is in some place with strong security encryption. Let's say it is

Then in your RDF file, you simply store this "https://you.cannot.steal.it"
instead of the password itself. You can have an encryption algorithm coded
in your program so that nobody else except your program can retrieve the
right data behind "https://you.cannot.steal.it" though the link "
https://you.cannot.steal.it" is transparent to everybody.

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Jeremy Carroll <jeremy@topquadrant.com>wrote:

> We have an RDF based form, where some of the details of the presentation
> are decided late, based on the data and its schema.
> For our application, we need to enter various SMTP setup information in
> this form, including a username and password.
> Right now, the password appears in clear-text ... :(
> A colleague suggested that we invent a new datatype:
> tq:password rdfs:subClassOf xsd:string .
> and then upgrade our form presentation software to treat this datatype with
> the conventional ****s
> That seems like a reasonable approach, has it been done before? Is there a
> datatype to reuse, or some other method?
> thanks
> Jeremy

Yihong Ding