Re: a list of companies active in the semantic technology area

From: Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 18:28:38 +0100
Cc: Bob DuCharme <bob@snee.com>, Hugh Glaser <hg@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
To: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
Hi all:

Apologies for my late reply, end of term season ;-)

It is very easy to create and maintain such a directory based on
GoodRelations - actually, the following should already work pretty
well as of today :

1. A company describes its range of products and services using
GoodRelations, e.g. using the GoodRelations   Annotator

Many SW companies have done so already, e.g.

2. The site informs one or more RDF repositories / crawlers of that
data, e.g. sindice.com or Ping The Semantic Web so that they can crawl
and collate the data.

3. Rund a query for matching companies against a suitable SPARQL

See an example query below. The query may not yet be perfect, because
testing them on

currently yields an error message

"37000 Error SQ156: Internal Optimized compiler error : dt not found
based on cname in sqlo.c:1078."
which I do not understand, so I cannot quickly spot whether it's the
query or the endpoint.

The basic pattern would be to
- search for gr:BusinessEntities
- that make at least one gr:Offering that is related to semantic

The latter can be expressed - approximately - by

- checking for the words

"semantic", "RDF", "ontolog", "OWL", "triplestore", or "linked data"

- in the textual elements attached to the gr:Offering or
- the textual elements of a product or product model linked to that
offer via gr:includes, and also
- considering  gr:Offering nodes that include objects that are
instances of subclasses of gr:ProductOrService that contain one of
these words in the class name, or in its superclasses class names.

Nice example for a typical hybrid SPARQL query in a real world
setting ;-)

# List all companies that sell/lease/maintain etc. semantic technology

SELECT ?c ?page ?legalname WHERE
   ?c a gr:BusinessEntity .
   ?c gr:legalName ?legalname .
   OPTIONAL { ?c foaf:page ?page }
   ?c gr:offers ?o .

# Now we have to check that they sell something "semantic"
# Option 1: The offering contains "semantic", "RDF", "ontolog", "OWL",
"triplestore", or "linked data"
	{ ?o ?textprop ?text . }
# Option 2: The product or product class contains one of those words
   		{ ?o gr:includes ?product. }
	  	{ ?o gr:includesObject ?t .
	  	  ?t a gr:TypeAndQuantityNode .
	  	  ?t gr:typeOfGood ?product .
# The UNION pattern above is because we cannot assume that the
expansion of gr:includes is materialized in triples
# See http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelationsOptionalAxiomsAndLinks
# Option 2a: The product contains one of those words
	  ?product ?textprop ?text .
# Option 2b: The product is an instance of a class that contains those
words in their name
	  ?product a ?class .
	  ?class rdfs:subClassOf gr:ProductOrService .
	  ?class ?textprop ?text .
# Also consider labels of superclasses
   	    		?class rdfs:subClassOf ?superclass .
   		    	?superclass ?textprop ?text .}
# Constrain the relevant text properties
   FILTER (?textprop = rdfs:label || ?textprop = rdfs:comment || ?
textprop = gr:name || ?textprop = gr:description )
# Check for significant words
   FILTER ( bif:contains(?text, "semantic") || bif:contains(?text,
"RDF") ||
   	bif:contains(?text, "ontolog") || bif:contains(?text, "OWL") ||
bif:contains(?text, "triplestore") ||
   	bif:contains(?text, "linked data") )

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group