From: semantic-web-request@w3.org [mailto:semantic-web-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Michael F Uschold
Sent: Monday, December 20, 2010 5:07 PM
To: Dieter Fensel
Cc: semantic-web@w3.org; Dave McComb; Simon Robe
Subject: Re: a list of companies active in the semantic technology area

Dieter,

This is a fabulous idea.  There is at least on major shortcoming: you forgot to include the company I work for (Semantic Arts<http://semanticarts.com> :-)).  I'll make sure you get an entry from us.

Seriously, I'm delighted to see this happen.  I do wonder how you may attempt to draw the line that defines "semantic technology".  There will always be grayness. If it is too broad, the usefulness of this list could decrease. That could be ameliorated by a rich set of semantic technology categories, so a person could focus on a particular technology are, or ignore other ones. I.e one facet could be 'type of technology" which could include

1.      NLP, with sub-categories including sentiment analysis
2.      Triple stores
3.      Latent-semantic technology
4.      etc...
I look forward to seeing this in the linked data cloud!

Michael