Re: a list of companies active in the semantic technology area

re.< categories of semantic technologies

1.      NLP, with sub-categories including sentiment analysis

2.      Triple stores

3.      Latent-semantic technology

4.      etc...

A while back I excerpted a list of 'types of semantic technologies' based on
a TopQuadrant report
I am sure it can be improved/argued, but it was the only resource I found of
this kind
I paste it below in case it can be useful
I d be keen to maintain an uptodate set of categories for this domain

source:Top Quadrant in

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-semweb-ui/2009Jan/att-0006/global_user_models_ethnography.pdf

(Reproduced with permission)

ANNEX I Semantic Technologies Capabilities (Source: 25)
Answer Engine: To provide a direct reply to a search questions as opposed to
returning a list of relevant documents. It interprets a question asked in
a natural language, checks multiple data sources to collect knowledge
nuggets required for answering the question and may even create an answer
on the fly by combining relevant knowledge nuggets. Interpretation of
questions using domain knowledge. Aggregation and composition of the
answer.
Automated Content Tagging: To provide semantic tags that allows a document
or other work-product to be "better known" by one or more systems
so that search, integration or invocation of other applications becomes more
effective. Tags are automatically inserted based on the computer analysis
of the information, typically using natural language analysis techniques. A
predefined taxonomy or ontology of terms and concepts is used to drive the
analysis. Machine learning approaches based on statistical algorithms such
as Bayesian networks.
Concept-based Search: To provide precise and concept-aware search
capabilities specific to an area of interest using knowledge
representations
across multiple knowledge sources both structured and un-structured.
Knowledge model provides a way to map translation of queries to knowledge
resources.
Connection and Pattern Explorer : Discover relevant information in disparate
but related sources of knowledge, by filtering on different combinations
of connections or by exploring patterns in the types of connections present
in the data. Inferences over models to identify patterns using the
principles
of semantic distance.
Content Annotation: Provide a way for people to add annotations  to
electronic content. By annotations we mean comments, notes, explanations
and
semantic tags. Knowledge model is used to assist people in providing
consistent attribution of  artifacts.
Context-Aware Retriever: To retrieve knowledge from one or more systems that
is highly relevant to an immediate context, through an action taken
within a specific setting -- typically in a user interface. A user no longer
needs to leave the application they are in to find the right information.
Knowledge model is used to represent context. This “profile” is then used to
constrain a concept-based search.
Dynamic User Interface: To dynamically determine and present information on
the Web page according to user's context. This may include related
links, available resources, advertisements and announcements. Context is
determined based on user's search queries, Web page navigation or other
interactions she has been having with the system. A model of context and a
memory of activities are used to control UI generation.
Enhanced Search Query: To enhance, extend and disambiguate user submitted
key word searches by adding domain and context specific
information. For example, depending on the context a search query "jaguar"
could be enhanced to become "jaguar, car, automobile", "jaguar, USS,
Star Trek", "jaguar, cat, animal" or "jaguar, software, Schrödinger".
Knowledge models are used to express the vocabulary of a domain.
Expert Locator: To provide users with convenient access to experts in a
given area who can help with problems, answer questions, locate and
interpret specific documents, and collaborate on specific tasks. Knowing who
is an expert in what can be difficult in an organization with a large
workforce of experts. Expert Locator could also identify experts across
organizational barriers. The profiles of experts are expressed in a
knowledge
model. This can then be used to match concepts in queries to locate
experts.
Generative Documentation: Maintain a single source point for information
about a system, process, product, etc., but deliver that content in a
variety
of forms, each tailored to a specific use. The format of the document, and
the information it contains, is automatically presented as required by each
particular audience. Knowledge model is used to represent formatting and
layout. Semantic matching is a key component of the solution.
Interest-based Information Delivery: Filter information for people needing
to monitor and assess large volumes of data for relevance, volatility or
required response. The volume of targeted information is reduced based on
its relevance according to a role or interest of the end user. Sensitive
information is filtered according to the "need to know". A profile of each
user’s interests is expressed in a knowledge  model. This is then be used
provide “smart” filtering of information that is either attributed with
meta-data or has knowledge surrogates.
Navigational Search; Use topical directories, or taxonomies, to help people
narrow in on the general neighborhood of the information they seek. A
Taxonomy that takes into account user profiles, user goals and typical tasks
performed is used to drive a search engine. To optimize information
access by different stakeholders, multiple interrelated taxonomies are
needed.
Product Design Assistant: To support the innovative product development and
design process, by bringing engineering knowledge from
manydisparate sources to bear at the appropriate point in the process.
Possible enhancements to the design process that result include rapid
evaluation, increased adherence to best practices and more systematic
treatment of design constraints.
Semantic Data Integrator: Systems developed in different work practice
settings have different semantic structures for their data. Time-critical
access
to data is made difficult by these differences. Semantic Data Integration
allows data to be shared and understood across a variety of settings. A
common knowledge model is used to provide one or more unified views of
enterprise data. Typically this is done by using mapping. Rules are
executed to resolve conflicts, provide transformations and build new objects
from data elements.
Semantic Form Generator and Results Classifier: To improve the data
collection process and data input analysis by providing knowledge driven
dynamic forms. A knowledge model is used to intelligently guide the user
through data capture. The results are automatically classified and analyzed
according to the model
Semantic Service Discovery and Choreography: Service Oriented Architectures
enable increased reuse of existing services and the dynamic
automation of processes through service composition and choreography.
Knowledge models are used to enhance the functionality of service
directories. Invocation methods, terminology and semantic description allow
the dynamic discovery of services by machines.
Virtual Consultant: Offer a way for customers to define their individual
goals and objectives, and then show them what products and services can
help them meet those goals. Understanding customer’s goals and requirements
through a questionnaire or dialog establishes a profile that helps you
communicate effectively with them now and in the future.