Re: Best practice for exposing proprietary databases or services as SPARQL endpoints

On 15-12-2010 2:21, Martin Hepp wrote:
> Dear all:
> Are there really no experiences beyond academic research regarding
> this task? I had assumed it was a pretty standard requirement...

We've in the past done this several times for commercial projects, by
creating a customer-specific wrapper using the Sesame 2 SAIL API [1].
The advantage is that you can use this API to completely mask the
particulars of your underlying data storage. Sesame's SPARQL engine and
RDF access APIs all work on top of the SAIL.

The approach allows a lot of room for solution-specific optimization.
For example, a SPARQL query is fed as an object model to the SAIL, you
can use a standard Visitor pattern to optimize and analyze it, or just
use Sesame's default implementations for evaluation.

Cheers,

Jeen

[1]
http://www.openrdf.org/doc/sesame2/api/org/openrdf/sail/package-summary.html