Re: A path language for RDF tighly integrated with Python

From: Joshua Shinavier <josh@fortytwo.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 00:34:43 +0800
To: Pierre-Antoine Champin <swlists-040405@champin.net>
Cc: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
Hi Pierre,

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 6:15 PM, Pierre-Antoine Champin
<swlists-040405@champin.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Jeni Tenisson's recent post [1] suggesting that RDF should have a standard
> path language encouraged me to experiment with some ideas that I have been
> having for a while.

Well, it has been a long time coming, but SPARQL 1.1 property paths
seem to be the most likely candidate for a "standard" RDF path
language (right?).  Of course, many non-standard langs have been
invented over the years (including mine [2]!  Embed path-like programs
in the web of Linked Data).

> The main idea is to implement an XPath-like language for RDF, directly
> *inside* the programming language, meaning that the path is not a string,
> but build using the actual "/" and "[]" operators of the language.

Neat!  This appears to be a subset of the functionality offered by
ActiveRDF [3] in Ruby.  I'm not aware of a similar tool for Python...

> [...]

Best regards,

Joshua

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-property-paths/
[2] http://ripple.fortytwo.net/
[3] http://www.activerdf.org/

--
Joshua Shinavier
Tetherless World Constellation PhD student