Re: Wikitravel.org data

Hi,

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Nicolas Raoul
<nicolas.raoul.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am thinking of extracting data from wikitravel.org in the same way
> DBpedia extracts data from Wikipedia.
> I am looking for ontologies describing Wikitravel's extractable information:
>
> 1) Hotels with name, address, phone, prices, services ...
> There seemed to be a travelontology.owl some time ago but now the owl
> file is nowhere to be found.
>
> 2) Restaurants/bars/clubs with name, address, phone, price range, services ...
>
> 3) Tourism spots with name, adress, activities ...
> http://rewerse.net/A1/otn/OTN.owl contains some useful concepts but
> more are needed.
>
> Are there existing ontologies about those domains that I am not aware
> of (and could not find via Google/Swoogle/Sindice) ?

Using the Geonames ontology would probably be the better option [1].

There are various feature code for these purposes, e.g.

  <ontology:Code rdf:about="#S.RSRT">
    <core:definition xml:lang="en">a specialized facility for
vacation, health, or participation sports activities</core:definition>
    <core:inScheme rdf:resource="#S"/>
    <core:prefLabel xml:lang="en">resort</core:prefLabel>
  </ontology:Code>

Ideally, you could also provide identity links from your exporter to
Geonames URIs as some features on wikitravel should already be
referenced in Geonames.

Best,

Alex.

[1] http://www.geonames.org/ontology/