Re: Research Illusion

From: Sören Auer <auer@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 16:04:59 -0400
To: Jeremy Carroll <jeremy@topquadrant.com>
CC: "'Azamat'" <abdoul@cytanet.com.cy>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@ontolog.cim3.net>, "'SW-forum'" <semantic-web@w3.org>, mjarrar@cs.ucy.ac.cy
Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> Google scholar provides citation counts, which while still a
> fairly rough measure, does include an idea of the importance
> of any piece of work.

I agree that citation counts are a pretty good estimate of a works impact.

A more severe problem from my point of view is the distribution of
research funds.

Existing paradigms seem to be either biased towards large established
organizations or well-connected, long established individuals. For
innovative ideas and younger researchers it is much harder.

I have the vision that research communities' crowd intelligence could be
employed in the Web 2.0 style for deciding about research funding [1].

--Sören

[1] http://wiki.cofundos.org/