Re: Compiling information from several different triplestores

Hi Nicolas,

Short answer: No (at least not yet).

Slightly longer version: There is no standard mechanism to efficiently
combine the data from multiple different stores via a JOIN-like mechanism,
unless you know exactly what you are looking for (FROM+CONSTRUCT might
work then), or your stores are single-vendor partitions that can be used
as both individual stores as well as as a virtual mega store.

Even if the new SPARQL WG adds query federation to the spec, you will
most probably need a more procedural approach, something like DERI Pipes,
SPARQLMotion, or SPARQLScript*, in combination with store metadata and
stats (à la voiD[1]) and some broker (e.g. Sindice). The pieces are
currently evolving, but "easy" or "efficient" will need a couple more
years, I guess.

I can imagine "query expanders" built on top of voiD and Sindice (or
eqivalents), that take your input query and extend it to a set of
sub-queries, with each subquery's resource identifiers
canonicalized/adjusted for the individual target store. Creating such
a helper service could be possible already today, but probably only
for very basic sameAs consolidation.

Cheers,
Benji

* disclaimer: I'm involved in the SPARQLScript effort.

[1] http://rdfs.org/ns/void-guide

--
Benjamin Nowack
http://bnode.org/