Re: process to discover and adopt/adapt relationships

From: Pierre-Antoine Champin <swlists-040405@champin.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 15:00:02 +0000
To: John Graybeal <graybeal@mbari.org>
CC: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
John Graybeal wrote:
> Even if I find a very solid ontology that meets these criteria,
> inevitably it has more or fewer concepts than I want to show the users
> of my ontology. So presenting just the right variation of the ontology
> requires...another ontology. (I guess extension can be done by
> importing, and adding the few extra terms. But subsetting seems awkward,
> unless one can import and _deprecate_ a few terms?)

If what you are interested in is hiding those concepts from the *users*,
you could simply import the ontology, then use an AnnotationProperty to
tell your application which concepts to show and which ones to hide.

If you want to hide them from the inference engine as well, this is
another story, because it may have some unexpected consequences. For
example, considering the ontology:
  Animal
    Mammal
      Dog
      Cat
if you decide that Mammal is not interesting for you, you may lose the
relation between Animal and Dog/Cat. Note that [1] gives some
interesting solutions to this kind of problem.

  pa

[1] http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/11762256_21