Re: Putting Government Data online

From: Ed Summers <ehs@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:24:59 -0400
To: SW-forum <semantic-web@w3.org>
On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Azamat<abdoul@cytanet.com.cy> wrote:
>  1. Ignoring the fact that every major web site is built on top
>    of a relational database.  The major sites use big commercial
>    databases.  Smaller sites are based on LAMP -- Linux, Apache,
>    MySQL, and Perl, Python, or PHP.

The Library of Congress recently published the contents of ~1,250,000
historic newspaper pages as linked data [1] using Python and a RDMBS
(MySQL). I think it's somewhat  misleading to suggest that RDF and
Linked Data aren't useful for expressing the relations locked up in a
RDBMS using familiar LAMP tools. Although certainly the data that we
are exposing isn't perfect, and could be improved in places :-)

//Ed

[1] http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/newspapers.rdf