Re: parsing purl.org/media/video

From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 16:28:41 -0400
To: Michael Hausenblas <michael.hausenblas@deri.org>
CC: John Graybeal <graybeal@mbari.org>, Ben Adida <ben@adida.net>, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, Semantic Web community <semantic-web@w3.org>
Michael Hausenblas wrote:
>> What does it mean that the embedded link within the video vocabulary
>> to 'media' (at http://purl.org/media#) fails?  I eventually found
>> something at purl.org/media/, maybe just a typo (ish).
>
> That there is a problem somewhere. Thanks for pointing it out. Manu?

You were using the proper URL - there's a bug in purl.org's URL
re-writing algorithm. The "official" URL you should be using for the
Media vocabulary is:

http://purl.org/media#

If you are marking up audio, it should be:

http://purl.org/media/audio#

and for video, you should use:

http://purl.org/media/video#

I have been meaning to have a conversation with the PURL team about how
they do URL re-writing for top-level directories. Note that the audio
and video vocabularies resolve just fine, but the top-level media
vocabulary does not. It should be a simple fix to their URL rewriting
rules, so you've prompted me to e-mail them about the issue... thanks :)

I'll send a response out as soon as we figure out the details... but
until then, you should be using:

http://purl.org/media#

-- manu

--