Re: Research Trends

If you really mean that your M.Phil is about philosophy, I would hope
that you can read my manuscript at IR-KR 2009 titled "Is the Web a Web
of Document or Things?".  The issue will ask you to ponder all those
philosophical questions, such as what is meaning, what is reference, and
what is information, that many of those philosophers have debated for
quite sometime.  You can download a PDF file from
http://ir-kr.okkam.org/workshop-program/ir-kr-ijcai-09-program.

The philosophy, if any, that is behind the current AWWW stands on a very
shaky ground. They would like you to believe that the Web is anchored on
a web of documents but they can never ground the term "information
resource", a.k.a. document onto a solid ontological ground.
Unfortunately, they don't care to argue and instead they try to not
allow you to argue (I have my reasoning, which I might disclose at some
appropriate time).  If you can use your philosophy background to mount a
serious argument against my position -- that is, the Web is a web of
things just as any other information systems, I believe W3C would be
really pleased.

Xiaoshu