When to use object property vs datatype property

From: Kevin Jenkins <kj@iteegosearch.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 23:40:58 -0700
To: <semantic-web@w3.org>

Greetings,

I'm having a problem determining if object property or datatype property are
more appropriate for a number of my properties.  It's my understanding that
object properties link individuals via a property and that datatype
properties link individuals to data (such as form input).  The reason I'm
confused is because my logic is that all properties must be linked to data
in order to exist. Somebody somewhere must have defined them via a datatype
variable.  For example. If we have a class Person . and a property has-name
. is has-name an object property or a datatype property?  Jim (individual)
has-name (property). My thinking is this must be a datatype property because
how else would Jim get his name without some user putting a text string in a
form somewhere?  I have many properties in my ontology such as
has-company-name, has-software-product, is-employee-of etc . my guess is
these must be datatype properties because somewhere (I guess a web form)
somebody has to name the company, choose the software product category from
a list, indicate who the employer is etc.

Anyway, if I'm correct in my assumption my ontology will have very few
object properties and lots of datatype properties. Which is probably not
right.  So this is why I'm confused.  If somebody would be so kind as to
clarify the usage of these property types I would be forever grateful!
Thanks so much.

Regards,

Kevin E. Jenkins