Re: Excellent News for LOD: Yahoo Provides Tool for RDFa+GoodRelations for Site Owners

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 10:24:56 +0200
To: martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org
Cc: Seth Russell <russell.seth@gmail.com>, semantic-web at W3C <semantic-web@w3c.org>, "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>
Chipping in a little late - yep, this really is excellent news.

E-commerce was a huge driver for the Web (/me sidesteps the bust),
there's every reason it could be a shot in the arm for the semweb too.

Also the lure of shopkeeper $$$s makes this kind of thing great
pedagogical material - note the old MS demo Northwind database (btw
RDFized by Kingsley & co.) and Java EE Pet Store [1].

Speaking of $$$s, I reckon there's a significant market opening for an
out-of-the-box semweb-enabled online store 'solution'.

> I will publish a more complete example at
>
> http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations_Examples

Good-oh.

> I am currently in contact with Google and trying to communicate the
> advantages of using standard vocabularies for meta-data, and I think there
> are strong arguments.

Good man.

> Also note that it is fairly easy to transform any Google-specific mark-up
> into standardized GoodRelations mark-up, and that several related tools are
> in the making.

Good to hear.

Incidentally I've still not got around to figuring out the part-whole
product description as mentioned at [2] (s/Tinocaster/Vinocaster -
there was a preexisting Tinocaster :) so any suggestions there would
still be appreciated.

Cheers,
Danny.

[1] http://java.sun.com/developer/releases/petstore/