Re: .htaccess a major bottleneck to Semantic Web adoption / Was: Re: RDFa vs RDF/XML and content negotiation

From: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@webbackplane.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 15:13:42 +0100
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Cc: Hugh Glaser <hg@ecs.soton.ac.uk>, Pierre-Antoine Champin <swlists-040405@champin.net>, Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>, "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>, "semantic-web@w3c.org" <semantic-web@w3c.org>
Hi Pat,

> I have checked with my system admin, and they tell me, Yes that is correct.
> You cannot access your .htaccess file. You cannot modify it or paste
> anything into it. Only we have access to it. No, we will not change this
> policy for you, no matter how important you think you are. Although they do
> not say it openly, the implicit message is, we don't give a damn what the
> W3C thinks you ought to be able to do on our website.

I agree that this seems to be getting like Groundhog Day. :)

The original point of this thread seemed to me to be saying that if
.htaccess is the key to the semantic web, then it's never going to
happen.

I.e., ".htaccess is a major bottleneck".

The initial discussion around that theme was then followed by all
sorts of discussions about how people could create scripts that would
choose between different files, and deliver the correct one to the
user. But the fact remained -- as you rightly point out here -- that
you still need to modify .htaccess.

> Now, has anyone got any OTHER ideas?  An idea that does not involve changing
> any actual code, and so can be done using a text editor on an HTML text
> file, would be a very good option.

:)

Did I mention RDFa?

Regards,