Re: Today's equivalent of CBD+URIQA? (was: Re: Schism in the Semantic Web community.)

On Tuesday 27 January 2009 13:16:49 Ivan Mikhailov wrote:
> The idea of CBD is not popular, too. But I've found that at least some
> people remember the acronym, and I've got even an enhancement request
> for configurable output of SPARQL DESCRIBE statement, to make it
> possible send a DESCRIBE ?x where {...} request with some special
> configuration preamble and get CBDs of all appropriate bindings of ?x.

/me raises hand.

We have been using DESCRIBEs extensively in our applications, and we find it
very useful.

I think it was a Good Thing that the first DAWG didn't overspecify DESCRIBE in
SPARQL 1.0 before real use cases were known. Certainly, it would have been
bad to specify CBD as the only valid way to return data from a DESCRIBE.

However, with current experience, we think that the DESCRIBE query form should
be revisited, and we are of the opinion that even though one should be free
to choose the output graph, we think that CBD would be an excellent candidate
for a normatively defined default. We believe this would enhance
interoperability at very little cost.

So, we plan to raise this issue within the DAWG II. :-)

Kind regards

Kjetil Kjernsmo
--
Senior Knowledge Engineer
Mobile: +47 986 48 234

|  SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE  |

Computas AS  PO Box 482, N-1327 Lysaker | Phone:+47 6783 1000 | Fax:+47 6783
1001