Re: live meaning and dead languages

Hello Alan,

In an ideal world perhaps we could define distinct roles to the
precision of SW languages as opposed to natural language.
However, in the real world this is not possible. What we are talking
about here is an old chestnut, long pursued in AI.
The fundamental point is that all formal languages (including
programming languages) are, among other things, means for *human
beings* to communicate with machines (or abstract machines in the case
of formal logic). cf. Davis et al. 1993 [1]. It is the fact of this
communication which means that natural language phenomena (meaning
shift, vagueness, ambiguity) are inherent in what is going on.

With respect to your point 1) - you are partially correct in that it
is in specific scientific domains where there is considerable
community buy-in that we will see the successful application of the
Semantic Web.
Community buy-in is also a natural language phenomenon, the absence of
which on occasions has led to the collapse of the cohesion of a
language (the inter-operability) as seen in Europe following the
collapse of the Roman Empire and the gradual transformation of Latin
into a number of different languages (French, Italian, Spanish,
Portuguese, Romanian, etc.).

There is a chance that in the Life Sciences the need for standards
will obtain the necessary community buy-in.
We nonetheless have continuous changes in meaning, even in this
domain, as the science moves on, e.g. consider how our definition of
'gene' changes all the time.

Out in the wild it will only work in narrow domains or where for some
reason there is great consistency.

With respect to 2) there are plenty of cases in software development
where there has been communication breakdown because of different
understanding of some aspect of the software.
So SW languages are like programming languages in that sense. But also
remember that the 'reserved' vocabulary of a programming language is
quite small while SW is trying to 'name' a great deal especially when
ontologies are built for different domains.

With respect to your point 3) I agree entirely that the continuously
evolving nature of words *is* something to celebrate. It is exactly
this fluidity of meaning which gives language so much expressive power
and actually *enables* communication. If meaning were entirely fixed
then we could not extend meaning in use and thus communicate the
similarity of a new concept with existing concepts already present in
out experience.

The multiplicity of human languages has never prevented human beings
from communicating. The vast majority of people in the world
effortlessly have a command of 2, 3 or more languages. And the
existence of a common language has never prevented the dire
consequences you mention (I wish it were the case).

The key point that is missing from this debate is that rather than
deny the complexity, creativity and ever changing nature of language,
we need to take an engineering perspective and treat this as a given
fact and build our systems accordingly. Means will change. How do we
handle this effectively, consistently and above all robustly?

Christopher

[1] Davis, R.; Shrobe, H. & Szolovits, P. (1993), 'What is a Knowledge
Representation', AI Magazine 14(1), 17--33.

> On 7 Feb 2009, at 15:17, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>

> Hello Jeremy,
>
> My first reaction to your comment is that it is, at least, overbroad.
> At worse, the attitude it espouses is a threat to the utility and
> success of the Semantic Web.
>
> Some cases to consider:
>
> 1) The Semantic Web is for science too. Within that domain, precise
> definitions of many terms are essential if one is to make meaningful
> comparisons.
>
> 2) Your comments don't square with the experience with programming
> languages, where having terms (functions, operators, data structure
> constructors, etc) not being precisely defined leads to unportability
> and difficulty in maintenance. Why are SW representation languages not
> like programming languages?
>
> 3) Is the evolving nature of words, while undeniably operant,
> something to celebrate? Perhaps on the level of celebrating creativity
> it is. But the flip side is that the fact that we have so many natural
> language means that large groups of people have no way communicate
> with each other. Even within a single language dialect, idiom, and
> drift over time serve to put in place barriers to communication. I
> think it would be fair to say that this inability to communicate has
> had dire consequences in our history.
>
> Why do SW languages need to mimic natural languages? Why not let each
> serve a distinct (and to be celebrated) function?
>
> -Alan