Re: live meaning and dead languages

On 8 Feb 2009, at 18:11, rick wrote:
> As I have written before, the model theory on which the semantic web
> is based is defined in Alfred Tarski's Semantic Conception of Truth.

Rick, that's overstating the role of model theory on the Semantic Web.
The formal semantics of RDF, as defined in [1], are based on model
theory. But a lot of the deployed usage of RDF considers it simply as
a distributed graph data model, and ignores (or even violates) the
model theoretic semantics. Various non-RDF technologies, such as Topic
Maps or microformats are often lumped under the Semantic Web umbrella
as well.

So, only a particular part of the Semantic Web technology portfolio is
based on model theory. I agree, however, that it's the part that can
benefit most from armchair philosophizing.

Have fun,
Richard

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/