Re: SPARQL performance for ORDER BY on large datasets

Hi Bernhard,

yes. That would be an option... or putting all in a RDBMS and use
Virtuoso RDF views or D2R. But I think it's too long-winded having to
control some RDBMS-like schema if you're working with native RDF data.
I would expect a more RDF-centric way where I can define indexes on
subsets of triples, e.g. grouped by properties, etc. Would this be
possible to implement for, let's say, Jena/TDB?

Regards,
Andy

On Aug 27, 2009, at 9:32 AM, Bernhard Schandl wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> I'm wondering for some time already if there is any triple store
>> that allows to define custom indexes on special predicates or
>> subsets of the whole set of triples/quads? All the existing stores
>> I know index over all triples in different combinations (spo,
>> pso, ...). Is there any research going on towards partial indexes
>> over user-defined subsets of triples? E.g. an index over all
>> xsd:dateTime literals.
>
> some time ago I was looking for triple stores that allow to
> customize the database schema, e.g., that allow me to specify
> something like "I want all foaf:Person resources together with their
> foaf:firstName and foaf:surname stored in a designated (optimized)
> table." If you are aware of any triple store aware of that
> functionality I would be happy to know.
>
> Best, Bernhard

http://www.langegger.at
Dipl.-Ing.(FH) Andreas Langegger
FAW - Institute for Application-oriented Knowledge Processing
Johannes Kepler University Linz
A-4040 Linz, Altenberger Straße 69