Re: Managing Co-reference (Was: A Semantic Elephant?)

Aldo notes the problems with using owl:sameAs to mean similarity. Such uses
are often incorrect, and Aldo suggests using something like rdfs:seeAlso,
skos:related, instead. These relations are too weak, unfortunately.

There is an interesting proposal for managing URI snyonyms that attempts to
have a middle ground, weaker than owl:sameAs, but much stronger than
rdfs:seeAlso or skos:related.   They suggest an infrastructural approach
[apparently] outside the logic for managing URI synonyms. It is a quite
clever approach, but still has some challenges.  Here are portions of a note
I just sent the authors of a paper, which relates to this question.

Afraz, Hugh and Ian:

I just read your workshop paper:
Managing URI Synonymity to Enable Consistent Reference on the Semantic
Web<http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/15614/1/camera-ready.pdf>

   1. I wholeheartedly agree that owl:SameAs is too strong in many cases. A
   weaker relation is needed. However, you don't offer  weaker relation and
   give it semantics. Instead, you do a kind of sleight of hand and remove it
   from the logic.  Without  a semantics, what is a system developer to do with
   the fact that two URIs are in the same bundle?  What are the inferential
   impliciations?

   Example: IMHO it is a bad idea to say that Spain the political entity is
   the same as Spain the geopolicial region. This ontological distinction has
   been clear documented in DOLCE, for example. They are different, and should
   have different URIs.  Conflating them will cause problems.  Of course,
   making this and many other ontologically 'sound' distinctions can cause its
   own problems, by adding complexity -- a tradeoff. Without any semantics of
   inCRS_Bundle, there is no way to tell if it is semantically correct.
   2. Do you have any idea of the scalability of this approach?

Michael