Re: ANN: myOntology Prototype Available

Hi Peter,

Peter Krantz wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org
> <mailto:danbri@danbri.org>> wrote:
>

>     Now unless the ontologies created through myOntology are all going
>     to be at the same domain, you're already dealing with a
>     distributed system.
>

> Maybe I misunderstood, but I got the impression that everything
> created at myOntology was supposed to be under that domain just like
> microformats.org <http://microformats.org>?
Yes, that is true and intended. The basic idea is that all elements
defined in myOntology are within the myOntology namespace - in fact, we
assume that the whole set of elements is one huge single ontology. All
ontology modules (e.g. the cell phone ontology) are actually just views
(proper subsets). We hope to achieve this by a very lightweight
meta-model, which we hope minimizes conflicts between ontology modules.
So our approach is the direct opposite of attempts to contextualize the
meaning of elements or what is being done in Cyc.

Best
Martin

--

martin hepp, http://www.heppnetz.de