Re: [ANN] MOAT

From: Frederick Giasson <fred@fgiasson.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 09:32:14 -0500
To: sioc-dev@googlegroups.com
Cc: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>, Golda Velez <gv@btucson.com>, Linking Open Data <linking-open-data@simile.mit.edu>, sioc-dev@groups.google.com, semantic-web@w3.org, moat-dev <moat-dev@groupe.google.com>

Hi Alex,

>> Ok but in that case, how a concept will be related to other concepts? By
>> this I mean: each tag will be a concept without any relationship with
>> other concepts. So, the graph of tags from this ontology will create a
>> graph with unlinked nodes, thousands of them?
>>

> Actually my goal is not to link tags together, so I will not adress
> that issue in this ontology.
> But in that case, I think we can rely on the SCOT ontology, that have
> properties to link tag objects.
> I have to see how it fits there (maybe the moat:Tag class as a
> subclass of tag:Tag and scot:tag)

But in that case, how to make sure the related tags are rigthly related?

By this I refers to:

I have a tag "tag_a" that has a meaning "meaning_a" and "meaning_b"

Then another person has a "tag_a" too with meaning "meaning_c" and
"meaning_d".

Now what if such a system link "tag_a" with "tag_b" and that "tab_b" is
in conflict with the meaning given by me (so "meaning_b").

I fear that such a syste would link the links only according to the
literal of the tag. When MOAT is interesting since it relates a literal
to some of the meaning of that literal, in a context:

- the context where the tag is used
- the user that used that lateral to categorizes that thing. (so the
cultural baggage and experience of the tagger will affect the meaning he
gives to the tag)

> I thaught that's optimal for the ontology not to restrict the range to
> be (or "become") a skos:Concept but to be the more open as possible.
> Not especially with dbpedia, but any knowledge base, since I first
> used this for a internal project with its own ontologies.

Ok.

Salutations,

Fred