Re: [ANN] MOAT

On Jan 21, 2008 1:51 PM, Frederick Giasson <fred@fgiasson.com> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> > (NB: Actually, since the Tag extends the Tag Ontology, Tag is a
> > subclass of skos:Concept)
> >

> Ok but in that case, how a concept will be related to other concepts? By
> this I mean: each tag will be a concept without any relationship with
> other concepts. So, the graph of tags from this ontology will create a
> graph with unlinked nodes, thousands of them?

Actually my goal is not to link tags together, so I will not adress
that issue in this ontology.
But in that case, I think we can rely on the SCOT ontology, that have
properties to link tag objects.
I have to see how it fits there (maybe the moat:Tag class as a
subclass of tag:Tag and scot:tag)

> It is sure that they can be put into relation, but given the fact that
> people tag anything for anything, I doubt they really will.
> >
> > Indeed, skos:Concept as a range wouldn't be ok, because I want people
> > to be able to use any URI as a meaning for their tag (i.e. what's in
> > their mind when using that tag in a given post context; eg I use the
> > tag "paris" -> in my mind this is "paris, france" -> I use the
> > specific URI from geonames), and not only a skos:Concept, but anything
> > from dbpedia, geonames (in this particular case this is a
> > skos:Concept), or existing knowledge base (eg: internal company
> > knowledge base with specific domain ontologies).
> > That's why the range is rdf:Resource, Fred.
> >

> Yeah it is what I thought was the reason.
>  Meanly to be able to use DBPedia.
>

> However, if you would have your hands on a well defined skos meaning
> structure, would you consider using skos:Concept has range?
>
> So my question is: what drive this decision: the fact that DBPedia gives
> a good demo and is available, or really because it is what is optimal
> for the ontology?

I thaught that's optimal for the ontology not to restrict the range to
be (or "become") a skos:Concept but to be the more open as possible.
Not especially with dbpedia, but any knowledge base, since I first
used this for a internal project with its own ontologies.