Re: [Linking-open-data] [ANN] MOAT

From: Phil Archer <parcher@icra.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:39:06 +0000
To: Alexandre Passant <alex@passant.org>
CC: sioc-dev@googlegroups.com, Linking Open Data <linking-open-data@simile.mit.edu>, Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>, semantic-web@w3.org, sioc-dev@groups.l.google.com, Golda Velez <gv@btucson.com>, moat-dev@groupe.google.com

Alexandre Passant wrote:
{snip]
> The problem here is that, again, the skos:subject range is a
> skos:Concept, which will not allow people to use existing URIs that
> are not defined as skos:Concept

That tripped up POWDER too. We want to be able to associate a free-text
tag with a semantically-defined meaning. Kjetil Kjernsmo engaged with
the SKOS folk on this back in June [1] last year with the aim of linking
tags in my.opera.com to our concept of a set of descriptors that can be
applied to multiple resources. We ended up defining our own vocabulary
term mapsTo [2]. The whole POWDER structure is undergoing an overhaul
right now so I wouldn't put a lot of store in this until our next drafts
are published but the basic need to associate SW and tagging remains.

I remember Chaals M-N once saying something like you should almost never
restrict the range and range of a vocabulary term unless you absolutely
have to because you can bet you'll want to use it in a different
situation about 10 minutes after the vocabulary is published in its
final form. The constraints on SKOS seem to bear this out.

Phil.

[1]  http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40243/POWDER-F2F-200801/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-powder-voc-20070925/#mapsTo

--