Re: Patents to be Auctioned

Il giorno 19/gen/08, alle ore 00:49, Dudley Mills ha scritto:

> Thanks Renato,
>

> > You didn't anticipated anything, the concept of semantic data is
> a very
>
> > old concept, not to say ancient, you just filled a bloody patent
> to be
>
> > able to profit from public domain ideas before anyone could do it.
>

> I anticipated the extraction of contact, classification and
> geographic semantic data from web pages and its incorporation in
> searchable databases.

Can a patent cover something like this ?
a "database" is almost "searchable" by definition. For the rest, what
does it mean ? That I if I make a script that fetch and store
geografic information from web pages, this is illegal ? No matter
that I made it even without ever by far having heard if the patent,
or any tools developed on it ?
I guess your patent covers some specific technology, algorithm, or
software...

> I agree that the concept of semantic data is very old and I feel it
> is well past the time that the concept should have had substantial
> commercial importance on the internet.
Yes, but commercial value comes with real value. You what are you
bringing to the people ? If it is something they already have, looks
more like you are taking away something.

>  Fair criticism if I had the fire that you espouse but I am
> retired. If Google or Microsoft want the patents, I’d consider
> those to be good homes.
I would be curious to know which would be the bad ones.

> .Years ago I asked W3C if they had any use for the patents (donated
> free). They suggested I setup (yet) another working group. If free
> does not do the job, I’ll try not-free.
I have the feeling that the only one one could make money with these
kind of patents is sue other people unaware of them... that's not
nice, isn't it ?

A.

> Kind regards,
>
> Dudley Mills,
>
> 30 Hutchison Crescent,
>
> Kambah, ACT 2902,
>
> Australia.
>
> Phone: +61-2-6296-2639

-----------
Andrea Splendiani
post-doc, bootstrep project (www.bootstrep.eu)

UPRES-EA 3888 - Laboratoire d'Informatique Médicale
CHU de Pontchaillou
2, rue Henri Le Guilloux
35033 Rennes - France
Tel : +33 2 99 28 92 45 / +33 2 99 28 42 15 (secr.)
Fax : +33 2 99 28 41 60

48° 07.275N
1° 41.643W