Re: plural vs singular properties (a proposal)

From: Garret Wilson <garret@globalmentor.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 08:49:40 -0800
To: Frank Manola <fmanola@acm.org>
CC: SWIG <semantic-web@w3.org>

Frank Manola wrote:

> Assuming I understand what you're talking about, this *isn't* a
> conflict with the relational model.  To flesh out your example a bit,
> suppose you have a paper, book, or article, and want to record subject
> descriptors.

I don't yet understand what you're talking about in your reply, so while
I read it again several times, let me just clarify my original concern
which apparently wasn't as clear as I thought it was.

Let's say I have the following relation, complete with header and body:

+----------------+----------------+----------------+
|      URI       |    dc.title    |   dc.subject   |
| <...#mybook>   |   "My Book"    | "semantic web" |
| <...#yourbok>  |  "Your Book"   | "database"     |

Now, if <...#mybook> has a dc:subject of "airplanes" in addition to its
dc.subject of "semantic web", where do I put that in the relational
model? I can't add another "table column".

I'll go read your response again in the meantime.

Thanks,

Garret