Re: Ontology for points in a three-dimensional space

Toby, hello.

On 2008 Dec 8, at 23:00, Toby A Inkster wrote:

> :Point a rdfs:Class ;
>   rdfs:comment "A point in three dimentions"@en .

I've done some preliminary work on this sort of thing in the context
of astronomical images, and the FITS model.  It's the sort of thing
that gets fiddly rather quickly.  What's your application?

> Effectively something like <http://www.w3.org/2003/01/geo/> but
> operating on arbitrary 3D reference planes instead of just WGS84.

WGS84 would, I imagine, cover altitude as well....  and indeed it
appears (having just looked), that http://www.w3.org/2003/01/geo/ does
include a geo:alt predicate.

How general do you want your coordinate system to be (there's a whole
world of positively delicious complication waiting to be explored
there!)

Best wishes,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk
Dept Physics and Astronomy, University of Leicester