Re: [foaf-dev] RDFAuth_Sketch: what are we trying to solve

From: Anthony Steele <Anthony@PlasticAvalon.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 14:22:55 +0100
To: Story Henry <henry.story@bblfish.net>
CC: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>, foaf-dev Friend of a <foaf-dev@lists.foaf-project.org>

Story Henry wrote:

 > But instead of requiring an Identity server we use
> PGP asymmetric key cryptography to identify the User Agent Owner.

A point of order: In this context, PGP stands for "Pretty Good Privacy".
  It is a particular implementation, albeit a groundbreaking one.  GPG
(http://gnupg.org/ ) is another. I don't want to be tied to an
implementation when I can use standards.

I see from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy )
that the relevant standard for public-key cryptography is rfc4880
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4880 )

If this would be easier to implement for me over openId/OAuth depends on
the availability of libraries. I haven't had time to look into this or
the technical merits of the solution yet.

Anthony