Re: NaturalOWL: generating texts from ontologies

Ion Androutsopoulos wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> We are pleased to announce the availability of NaturalOWL. NaturalOWL
> is an open-source natural language generation engine written in Java.
> It produces English and Greek descriptions of individuals (e.g., items
> for sale or museum exhibits) and classes (e.g., types of exhibits)
> from OWL DL ontologies. The ontologies must have been annotated in RDF
> with suitable linguistic and user modeling information. NaturalOWL was
> developed in the Department of Informatics of the Athens University of
> Economics and Business in the Greek project XENIOS, and it is now
> being extended in the European project INDIGO. NaturalOWL is heavily
> based on ideas from the European project M-PIRO, which was in turn
> based on Edinburgh?s ILEX system, but it provides native support for
> OWL DL and it can be used within the Protege ontology editor.
>
> The software can be downloaded from:
>
> http://www.aueb.gr/users/ion/software/NaturalOWL.tar.gz
>
> A short paper (from ENLG 2007) that describes NaturalOWL is also
> available:
>
> http://www.aueb.gr/users/ion/docs/naturalowl_enlg07.pdf
>
> More detailed documentation is available upon request. You can see
> NaturalOWL being used in Second Life in the following video, which
> accompanies our Museums and the Web 2008 paper (joint work with Jon
> Oberlander and Amy Isard):
>
> http://www.vimeo.com/801099
> http://www.aueb.gr/users/ion/docs/mw2008_preprint.pdf
>
> NaturalOWL can also be used with the ELEON authoring tool and the
> Personalization Server of NCSR "Demokritos". Related information is
> (or will be) available from:
>
> http://www.iit.demokritos.gr/skel/
>
> Dimitris Galanis, George Karakatsiotis and Ion Androutsopoulos
This looks really interesting! I've just downloaded it, but am not setup
with Protege on this machine. I look forward to trying it.

Have you considered making a version available as a Web service? I'd
love to see someone write the linguistic annotations for FOAF too...

Nice work :)

cheers,

Dan

--