RE: Importing the correct version of an ontology

Hi, David!

David Price wrote on Friday, September 21:

>For example:
>
>http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/refdata is the URI for the
>ontology in all cases. It is also the Web address for the
>latest and greatest ontology.
>
>http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/refdata/V1 contains the same
>ontology when version 1 is published.
>
>When version 2 is published, then
>
>http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/refdata contains the version 2 ontology
>
>http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/refdata/V2 contains the same
>version 2 ontology
>
>http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/refdata/V1 contains the
>version 1 ontology.
>
>This lets ontology importing tools/users decide when to use
>ontology V1 vs. V2 or whether to always use the latest and
>greatest.

I am just considering: Wouldn't it be better to use for those "frozen"
ontology versions an URI scheme like in

  http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/V1/refdata

with the "V1" /before/ the "refdata" part. Or with the publishing data
contained as in:

  http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/2007/09/21/refdata

like it is used for the RDF and OWL namespaces.

My concern with your proposed ".../refdata/V1" scheme is that I would regard
this more to be an URI for an OWL class named "V1" within the "OASIS"
ontology (if slash-URIs are used). So, this might (while very unlikely to
happen) collide with such a class name in the ontology. And, perhaps,
ontology tools might get confused by it? I don't know, just have a somewhat
bad feeling.

On the other hand, the Dubling Core also uses the version number at the end,
and so does FOAF:

  http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/
  http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/

So, perhaps still not a problem?

This might be somewhat pedantic, I suppose. :-) But I would like to use the
opportunity of this thread to discuss some "best solution" for such a
certainly pretty common scenario. Or is there already some "best practice"
document out covering this topic?

Cheers,
Michael

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Tel  : +49-721-9654-726

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe