Re: Importing the correct version of an ontology

Hi, so maybe I'm having a major lack of knowledge here, aren't
classes in the ontology supposed to be identified with a fragment ?

best,
Andrea

Il giorno 21/set/07, alle ore 17:57, Michael Schneider ha scritto:

> Hi, David!
>
> David Price wrote on Friday, September 21:
>
>> For example:
>>
>> http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/refdata is the URI for the
>> ontology in all cases. It is also the Web address for the
>> latest and greatest ontology.
>>
>> http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/refdata/V1 contains the same
>> ontology when version 1 is published.
>>
>> When version 2 is published, then
>>
>> http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/refdata contains the version 2
>> ontology
>>
>> http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/refdata/V2 contains the same
>> version 2 ontology
>>
>> http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/refdata/V1 contains the
>> version 1 ontology.
>>
>> This lets ontology importing tools/users decide when to use
>> ontology V1 vs. V2 or whether to always use the latest and
>> greatest.
>
> I am just considering: Wouldn't it be better to use for those "frozen"
> ontology versions an URI scheme like in
>
>   http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/V1/refdata
>
> with the "V1" /before/ the "refdata" part. Or with the publishing data
> contained as in:
>
>   http://docs.oasis-open.org/plcs/2007/09/21/refdata
>
> like it is used for the RDF and OWL namespaces.
>
> My concern with your proposed ".../refdata/V1" scheme is that I
> would regard
> this more to be an URI for an OWL class named "V1" within the "OASIS"
> ontology (if slash-URIs are used). So, this might (while very
> unlikely to
> happen) collide with such a class name in the ontology. And, perhaps,
> ontology tools might get confused by it? I don't know, just have a
> somewhat
> bad feeling.
>
> On the other hand, the Dubling Core also uses the version number at
> the end,
> and so does FOAF:
>
>   http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/
>   http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/
>
> So, perhaps still not a problem?
>
> This might be somewhat pedantic, I suppose. :-) But I would like to
> use the
> opportunity of this thread to discuss some "best solution" for such a
> certainly pretty common scenario. Or is there already some "best
> practice"
> document out covering this topic?
>
> Cheers,
> Michael
>
> --
> Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
> FZI Forschungszentrum Informatik Karlsruhe
> Abtl. Information Process Engineering (IPE)
> Tel  : +49-721-9654-726
> Fax  : +49-721-9654-727
> Email: Michael.Schneider@fzi.de
> Web  : http://www.fzi.de/ipe/eng/mitarbeiter.php?id=555
>
> FZI Forschungszentrum Informatik an der Universität Karlsruhe
> Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
> Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
> Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
> Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe
> [...]

-----------
Andrea Splendiani
post-doc, bootstrep project (www.bootstrep.eu)

UPRES-EA 3888 - Laboratoire d'Informatique Médicale
CHU de Pontchaillou
2, rue Henri Le Guilloux
35033 Rennes - France
Tel : +33 2 99 28 92 45 / +33 2 99 28 42 15 (secr.)
Fax : +33 2 99 28 41 60

48° 07.275N
1° 41.643W