Re: New Version of Networked Graphs Sail Available

> I see the power of views, but I also see potential for expressing
> rules. I noticed you have a brief note about this at the project web
> site ("... and to define rules (through recursive view definitions).")
> but could you give an example of how this would work?

Sure. Basically speaking the semantics of Networked Graphs is defined
analogously to logic programming as the least fixpoint obtained by
repeatedly applying all applicable rules (in our case views). A suitable
semantics (The well founded semantics by Gelder) is chosen to deal with
non-monotonic negation, so we can guarantee termination.

The second example in the public repository mentioned below (graph
<http://ex.org/graph2>) contains information about fatherOf relations
among 4 persons. Two views on the same graph are included, saying that
every father of a person is also an ancestor of this person and every
ancestor of the father of a person is also an ancestor of this person.

If you go to http://k-sems.uni-koblenz.de:8180/openrdf-workbench, select
the default server and the repository called 'networkedGraphs', click
'Query' and then execute the following SPARQL query:
SELECT * FROM <http://ex.org/graph2> {?s ?p ?o}
you will get the idea. Try this query once with "Include inferred
statements" checked and once without.

Without inferred statements you will only see the fatherOf relations and
the view definitions. Including inferred statements you will also see
the transitive closure of the ancestorOf relation.

The third example (graph <http://ex.org/graph3>) demonstrates how
non-monotonic negation is handled. In this example, no new statements
are inferred, because there are two contradicting view definitions.

The expressivity of the resulting rule language is quite high -
comparable to normal logic programs under the well founded semantics,
but with triples only, instead of arbitrary predicates. In fact, we
initially defined the semantics through a mapping to logic programs [3],
[7]. The implementation is based on a slightly revised semantics, no
longer needing this indirection.

Best regards,
Simon

[7]http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~sschenk/publications/2007/KI2007SparqlSemantics.pdf