java: URIs (was: Re: my laziness with literals)

From: Garret Wilson <garret@globalmentor.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 16:59:31 -0200
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
CC: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>

Garret Wilson wrote:

> Dan Brickley wrote:
>> There is a java: URI scheme. This is used for example in ARQ for
>> dynamic  code loading. I don't see a case for using info: instead.
>
> OK, I'm on Dan's side, now.
>
> java:/com/example/package#Class

Dan,

I've noticed that your java: URI scheme usage, and that of ARQ
(<http://jena.sourceforge.net/ARQ/java-uri.html>), is to use the
unmodified full Java package.Class name as the URI scheme-specific part.
This provides several problems: one can't use common path-processing
methods (such as found in the Java URI class) to find a class' package,
or to find a package's parent package. Similarly, there's no elegant way
to represent a package as a URI rather than ending the URI with a
full-stop, which I don't find aesthetically pleasing.

Modifying my proposal above to find something closer to what's already
being used, I would propose:

java:/com/example/package/

and

java:/com/example/package/Class

This would meet the shortcomings I mention, allowing easy processing via
Java URI methods.

Best,

Garret