Re: Turtle - Terse RDF Triple Language updated

Harry Halpin wrote:
> Ivan Herman wrote:
>> Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

>>> Does this generate 2 or 3 triples?
>>>
>> At present, this generates three triples using a blank node.
>>

>>>                                     Henry's note suggests that it should
>>> generate 2, as he is using the notation as shorthand.
>>> In other words, parsing this should not generate any blank nodes.
>>> I would support that interpretation, which I think would need to be
>>> documented.
>>> It would be a shame to generate bnodes as a consequence of solely
>>> wanting an abbreviation.
>>>
>> If we change this interpretation we would get ourselves into a major
>> incompatibility with SPARQL. That makes me nervous.
>>
> I mean, I'm pretty sure that generates 3 triples in N3 [1], so N3/Turtle
> is consistent with SPARQL

Exactly. Ie, I can copy paste this Turtle code to a SPARQL expression
and vice versa and it means the same thing. Alan's proposal would break
that, and _that_ makes me nervous (without any coffee:-)...

[snip]

> Regardless, as for features like "=" - yes, of course they are useful.
> However, I think the obvious thing to do is to keep Turtle and N3 syntax
> separate, with N3 syntax being a superset of Turtle. So, keep Turtle 1
> to 1 with SPARQL, and then have N3 have things like "=" in it.
>
> However, the first hurdle is clearly getting Turtle stable, which it (at
> least to me) seems more or less.

+1

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/