Re: vCard/iCalendar RDF process document 2007-04-06

Bruce,

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> This goes to that question of complexity that I and Harry were
> mentioning. I strongly support Norm's original decision that the name
> properties (among them not firstName, BTW)

(Oops---sorry, I meant vcard:givenName.)

> ought to be literal properties restricted to a maximum cardinality of 1.

To understand the implications of your and Norm's position, let me ask a
few followup questions:

1. Do you believe that multiple honorific suffixes should be placed into
one literal value, such as
<vcard:honorificSuffix>BS,JD,MBA,JR"</vcard:honorificSuffix>?

2. Which of the following representations do you prefer:
<vcard:familyName>bin Muhammad bin 'Awad bin Laden</vcard:familyName> or
<vcard:familyName>bin Muhammad,bin 'Awad,bin Laden</vcard:familyName>
(i.e. the family name components separated by some delimiter)?

3. Do you believe that vcard:adr should also have a maximum cardinality
of 1, considering the need to support multiple addresses with a
"preferred address" designation?

4. Do you believe that vcard:tel should also have a maximum cardinality
of 1, considering the need to support multiple telephone numbers with a
"preferred telephone number" designation?

5. Do you believe that vcard:email should also have a maximum
cardinality of 1, considering the need to support multiple email
addresses with a "preferred email address" designation?

6. Would you support abandoning the class vcard:N in favor of simply
using the property vcard:n in the form
<vcard:n>Stevenson;John;Philip,Paul;Dr.;Jr.,M.D.,A.C.P.</vcard:n>? If
no, then why not? (i.e. I'm curious to know whether your answers to #1
and #6 are different, as the questions are very similar.)

Thanks,

Garret