Re: yet another RDF vCard

Harry,

Harry Halpin wrote:
> However, the way we decided to deal with this was simply to use v:name
> to deal with the whole name, and keep "v:n" for the "components" of a
> name,

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean v:name property or v:Name class?
v:n property or v:N class? Because right now, the specification has v:n
property with a range of v:Name class, which makes sense. But what you
say next...

> but not put an xsd:string as the range - and this maps to the use
> of vcard in the hcard microformat as well.

xsd:string as a range of what? If I take what you say literally, you now
are using a v:name property that has a string range, and a v:n property
that has an undefined range---is that it? Or are you saying that you're
keeping the v:n property v:Name range relationship, and the components
of v:Name have an undefined range?

Either way, this moves from a format that is so restrictive that it
can't handle real-world data (i.e. unacceptable for publishing) to a
format that is so unrestricted that it can't be understood by a general
processor (i.e. unacceptable for consuming). In other words, if anything
can be put in the range of given-name, for example, then only the thing
that produced it will know how to extract the information from it.

That's why the proposal I listed last time tries to walk the line
between so much restriction to be of any use, yet so much freedom that
the processor doesn't understand it. Let me list the relevant rules
again from my proposal:

    If a particular Directory type calls for a literal value yet
specifies parameters for that value, or if a literal value appears in
some other circumstance in which an RDF resource is necessary (such as
as elements of rdf:List), a blank node shall be used as the property
value with the literal value appearing as the property of the blank
node's rdf:value property. e.g. The vCard ORG type, if language needs to
be specified, would produce an vcard:org property with a blank node
value that has both the directory:language property to indicate the
language and also the rdf:value property to indicate the literal
property value.
    If a particular Directory type specifies a structured value, an RDF
class shall be used to contain the elements of that stuctured value with
a name in the form example:InitialUppercase. e.g. The value of the vCard
ADR type would be represented as a vcard:Adr class that is the value of
a vcard:adr property.
    If a particular Directory type specifies a structured value, the
components of which can be repeated but in which order is important,
each structured value component shall be allowed to be represented
either a single value or as an rdf:List value. If there is no official
name defined for a particular structured value subcomponent, one shall
be created that is as close as possible to the name used in the
specification in referring to that component, using the
example:mixedCase format. e.g. The subcomponent "Additional Name" of the
vCard N type would appear as a vcard:additionalName property of the
vcard:N class which would appear as a value of the vcard:n property. The
value of the vcard:additionalName property could be single literal
value; a blank node with its rdf:value set to the literal value (if, for
instance, the directory:language needed to be specified for the value),
or an rdf:List of blank nodes as just described (using a rdf:parseType
of Collection in RDF+XML syntax, for example).

So that means I could have a plain literal:

<card:N>
  <card:firstName>George</card:firstName>
</card:N>

...a complex string value:

<card:N>
  <card:firstName>
    <rdf:Description directory:language="en" dc:description="My first
Name" rdf:value="George"/>
  </card:firstName>
</card:N>

...or a list of first names:

<card:N>
  <card:firstName rdf:parseType="Collection">
    <rdf:Description rdf:value="George"/>
    <rdf:Description rdf:value="Ahmed"/>
  </card:firstName>
</card:N>

You can see that this is very flexible, but it's not a free-for-all. Any
processor would be able to understand the name value just by using the
rules. It would still cover most of what vCard provides, and the common
case would collapse into what we expect normally:
<card:N><card:firstName>George</card:firstName></card:N>

> Since many names do not map
> easily, as you have rightfully pointed out, to the "components" of the
> name, the way to sort names that have multiple components each with
> their own sorting rules is simply to specify a "v:sort-string"
>
> So, the current vcard proposal would have precisely what you said:
>
> <v:sort-string>Stevenson;John;Philip,Paul;Dr.;Jr.,M.D.,A.C.P."</v:sort-string>?

I think you missed my point. I didn't provide that for a sorting name. I
provided that as an indication of what we could do for storing the
components if we force a simple storage structure---we might as well
have literal vCard data within the RDF instance, which is what I put
above. That's straight out of RFC 2426. Sorting is another issue
altogether, one which seems straightforward with a sort string as you
mentioned, and one about which I'm not particularly concerned.

So in summary, here's what I'm saying: if we set as a goal of this
endeavor to create an RDF ontology that simply but reasonably completely
maps to data in the vCard specification, we need to have a format that
is not so restrictive that it discards a bunch of vCard data but not so
lenient that processors will not be able in the absence of rules outside
the specification to understand the data. To put that last point another
way, a processor should know, just by following the specification, how
to generate a traditional vCard from any RDF vCard data solely from the
specification. I think the current http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/ns has
the former problem. I think your new solution has the latter---or maybe
I didn't understand it correctly.

Garret