Re: yet another RDF vCard

Apologies, been a bit swamped in GRDDL, but vCard will be updated once
we push GRDDL Primer and GRDDL Test Cases out the door...

However, the way we decided to deal with this was simply to use v:name
to deal with the whole name, and keep "v:n" for the "components" of a
name, but not put an xsd:string as the range - and this maps to the use
of vcard in the hcard microformat as well. Since many names do not map
easily, as you have rightfully pointed out, to the "components" of the
name, the way to sort names that have multiple components each with
their own sorting rules is simply to specify a "v:sort-string"

So, the current vcard proposal would have precisely what you said:

<v:sort-string>Stevenson;John;Philip,Paul;Dr.;Jr.,M.D.,A.C.P."</v:sort-string>?

Of course, merging different name collations with differing sorting orders is difficult, requiring at least rules, and so beyond the scope of a simple RDF spec like the vcard ontology.

I'm definitely interested in test-cases and examples for when I update the spec, so please do send them to me and the list.

--
		-harry

Harry Halpin,  University of Edinburgh
http://www.ibiblio.org/hhalpin 6B522426