Re: owl:sameAs use/misuse/abuse Re: homonym URIs

From: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 18:58:43 -0400
Cc: semantic-web@w3.org
To: Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>

On 2007-06 -14, at 06:56, Bernard Vatant wrote:

> Just to hit this owl:sameAs (ab)use nail a bit more.
>
> Although I agree with Pat below (see my previous message) suppose I
> (or Richard) disagree(s) and want(s) to stick to the assertion
> http://dbpedia.org/resource/Berlin owl:sameAs http://
> sws.geonames.org/2950159/
>
> Does that mean that what I get from the two resources should be not
> only consistent RDF descriptions, but *identical descriptions* ?

Absolutely not.   The URIS above stand for the same thing, but the
documents you get when you look them up (via 303 to http://
sws.geonames.org/2950159/about.rdf etc)  have different URIs
different from those of the city.

Different documents about the same thing is of course an essential
element of the world.

Tim