Re: Representing RDF Literals/Resources as JSON Strings

Hi Tony,

For a JSON "port" of Turtle-ish syntax, you may be interested in one of
the JSON formats that Masahide Kanzaki's Turtle parser parses into. See:

http://www.kanzaki.com/works/2006/misc/0308turtle.html

(For a more general overview (not totally up-to-date, now) of some JSON
formats that are out there for RDF data, you could take a look at this
survey that I drew up a few months ago:
http://thefigtrees.net/lee/blog/2007/01/using_rdf_on_the_web_a_survey.html
)

Lee

Tony Hammond wrote on 06/07/2007 08:14:28 AM:

> Many thanks for this, Ian. Very interesting. Though ...
>
> I guess what I was really after was something where the typing of the
> literal and/or resource would be implicit in the syntax (as in
N3/Turtle)
> [...]
>

> On 7/6/07 10:47, "Ivan Herman" <ivan@w3.org> wrote:
>
> > Tony,
> >
> > the only example that comes to my mind is the W3C note
> >
> > Serializing SPARQL Query Results in JSON
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-json-res/

> > maybe it gives you some inspiration...
> >
> > Ivan
> >
> > Hammond, Tony wrote:
> >> Hi:
> >>
> >> I am making use of JSON to map an RDF profile but am wondering how
best to
> >> represent RDF literals and resources as JSON strings.
> >>
> >> Leaving aside blank nodes and numeric/boolean literals, N3/Turtle
makes a
> >> clear syntactic distinction between the following four kinds of
values:

> >>     * literal = quotedString | datatypeString
> >>
> >>       1. quotedString = '"' string '"'
> >>
> >>       2. datatypeString = quotedString '^^' resource
> >>
> >>     * resource = uriref | qname
> >>
> >>       3. uriref = '<' uri '>'
> >>
> >>       4. qname = prefix ':' name
> >>
> >> With JSON all (simple or primitive) values are (double) quoted
strings. One
> >> possibile syntax might be the following:
> >>
> >>       1. quotedString = '"' string '"'
> >>
> >>       2. datatypeString = ??
> >>
> >>       3. uriref = '"' '<' uri '>' '"'
> >>
> >>       4. qname = '"' '<[' prefix ':' ']>' '"'
> >>
> >> with qname here taking a cue from CURIE's.  (Alternatively one could
treat
> >> qname the same as uriref and disambiguate depending on whether a
prefix
> >> namespace was declared.)
> >>
> >> So, #1 is a natural match, #3 is passable, #4 is heavier but still a
> >> possibility, and �2 ... well, I just don't know.
> >>
> >> Was wondering if anybody else had done some work in this area
andarrived at
> >> any conclusions.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Tony

> >> ***
> >> DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used
byanyone who
> >> is
> >> not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail
in
> >> error
> >> please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any
> other storage
> >> mechanism. Neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its
> agents accept
> >> liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's
> own and not
> >> expressly made on behalf of Macmillan Publishers Limited or one of
its
> >> agents.
> >> Please note that neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its
agents
> >> accept any responsibility for viruses that may be contained in
> this e-mail or
> >> its attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and
> >> attachments (if any). No contracts may be concluded on behalf of
Macmillan