Re: Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and Linked Data

On Jul 10, 2007, at 1:08 PM, Dan Connolly wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-07-07 at 14:43 +0200, Chris Bizer wrote:
>
>> Question 3: Depending on the answer to question 1, is it correct
>> to use
>> owl:sameAs [6] to state that http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/
>> card#i and
>> http://dbpedia.org/resource/Tim_Berners-Lee refer to the same
>> thing as it is
>> done in Tim's profile.
>
> Yes...
>
> That's sort of a circular question. It's correct because Tim says
> it's correct, and he owns that name.

That's not the usual sense of "correct". In this context, I believe
that the wordnet sense of "correct" that is intended is
"free from error; especially conforming to fact or truth"

Or Wikipedia: "In everyday use, the correctness of a statement is
determined by whether or not it matches reality. People can think a
statement is correct and be wrong."

If I had a profile that said, in effect, that I was president of the
United States, then that would be incorrect regardless of whether I
owned the name (I am taking the "owned name" that you are referring
to to be http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i since that's the
only name in the vicinity that Tim could correctly claim to be owned
by him).

If I'm using the wrong sense of "correct", perhaps you could provide
me a definition of "correct" by which I could understand your claim.

Regards,

-Alan