Re: Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and LinkedData

From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 22:51:40 -0400
Cc: <www-tag@w3.org>, <semantic-web@w3.org>, "Linking Open Data" <linking-open-data@simile.mit.edu>
To: Chris Bizer <chris@bizer.de>

On Jul 11, 2007, at 8:44 AM, Chris Bizer wrote:

> Question 1: According to the terminology of the Architecture of the
> WWW
> document [4] are all these URIs aliases for the same non-information
> resource (our current view) or are they referring to different
> resources?
>
> Alan:
> This is a question of what the publishers of those URI's say they
> mean to
> denote by those URIs, or alternatively, what a community of users
> agrees these
> URIs shall denote.
>
> This nicely corresponds to Dan's answer to question 3 :-)

Hardly. Dan claims that the correctness of an assertion saying they
are the same depends on Tim saying so. I say that this has something
to do with truth.

> Question 3: Is it correct to use owl:sameAs [6] to state that
> http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i and
> http://dbpedia.org/resource/Tim_Berners-Lee refer to the same thing
> as it is done in Tim's profile?
>
> Dan:
>> It's correct because Tim says it's correct, and he owns that name.
>
> I like this answer as it clearly points at the Semantic Web being a
> social system where information providers express their opinions
> which can be right or wrong. Tim is stating that he thinks that
> both URIs refer to the same non-information resource. It is now up
> to the information consumer to decide if he likes to believe this
> statement or not.

That is a different interpretation than what was offered by Dan. He
did not say that the correctness was a matter of Tim's belief. He
said it is correct because Tim says so. That's a pretty big
difference. I consider your statement of the answer to be more
realistic.

-Alan